Fall 2022 Fashion Trends to Keep an Eye On
With fall coming up and a lot of us heading back to high school or college, it's time to think about your fall wardrobe! We still have a couple of months before it will be cool enough to break out the knit sweaters, but if you start prepping now you’ll be prepared for the new season and all its wonderful fashion statements!
Many factors affect fashion over the course of the year and years. When autumn comes around, sweaters, gloves, scarves, and hats always become more common as the weather becomes more cold. Also, reds, yellows, browns, and other so-called “autumnal” colors will become more common — these colors are associated with fall fashion because of the changing of the leaves. These are pretty much constant every year.
But these aren’t the only trends that will influence fashion circles this year--we are also living in an age of nostalgia. The past few years have been heavily influenced by the eighties, from mom jeans to polka dots. This will change in a few years — experts in the fashion industry say that nineties nostalgia is on the rise, but we are still in a transitional period. Also, fashion is also being influenced in different ways by different groups. Gender non-conformist fashion is blossoming alongside cottagecore and dark academia. The body positivity movement has been making strides to encourage better plus-sized fashion and more variation of silhouettes. People are adapting and updating old styles, but also embracing various aspects of vintage fashion that previously had been looked down on.
With those general principles in mind, here’s our list of trends we anticipate will be coming back this fall!
1. Denim overalls and comfortable jeans, especially high-rise jeans, are coming back now! Think back to all sorts of nineties-style jeans for inspiration.
2. Versatile, simple, and comfortable, white tanks are a fashion staple. With several high-profile brands using models in white tanks for their marketing, this trend is likely to continue into autumn. This is a great option for a layering piece.
3. Chunky knit sweaters will be coming back! In the past few years, there’s been a resurgence of chunky knit sweaters. Anticipate that trend to continue, and for cropped sweaters to be paired with high rise pants!
4. When you want to look a little more sleek, then leather is your new best friend! Black leather minidresses are on trend, in addition to black leather pants and jackets.
5. On the topic of jackets, bomber jackets are still in! Pair them with tight pants or a form-fitting undershirt to balance the look, or embrace the bagginess!
6. Small purses with top handles are also coming back. Unobtrusive and stylish, these give you an easy way to carry around your phone without ruining your look.